Saturday 29 January 2011

I know it's rubbish . .but

As you may have gathered by now i am pretty serious about my music. There are times though when i hear a song, i know it is rubbish, you know it is rubbish, but for some reason you really like it.

Listen to this


You see what I mean. That is not a great song, it is not formed beautifully, the lyrics,  such as they are, are just a bit weird. But it is catchy isn't it. That whooo stuff just sticks in the mind. Puts you in a good mood. I am not sure if I think it is actually funny, or not? I think that perhaps the point is that it is not taking itself too seriously and so you can't either.

In a slightly different vain, there are the Avalanches. These guys had a big song. This is it.


Frontier Psychiatrist. That is not a song that it taking itself too seriously. What is going on the video? really, a midget dressed as a baby. Don't get me wrong, a midget in a video, dressed as a baby is pretty funny. The whole scratching, overlaid lyrics, is a difficult thing to do well, but it works.  One of the commentors on you tube, said it made them feel happy to be alive. I guess that is the feeling i get from it. I can listen to it repeatedly, still enjoy it , so it must be a good song. but I know it's rubbish.

Barbara Streisand 

I think the point I am trying to make, is that there is some great music , but it can be a bit tiring listening only to the serious, sometimes it is just about a bit of a laugh. i often think it is more about this for most people. Perhaps i am in the massive minority in expecting music to give me more than just entertainment.I know that I belong in the much smaller crowd of people who actually listen to the lyrics.

Ok , so here is an admission that I am still not sure if i should put out there. But well, why not. I like this song.


yes it is lady gaga. yes I know , i know. What is wrong with me? But that is a remarkably catchy song. it really is. Anyway, how can you not like a song that has the lyrics
Russian roulette is not the same without a gun
And baby if it's love then if its not rough it isn't fun

Moving swiftly on, you get bands that have made a career out of not being serious. I speak of Tenacious D

here are a couple of their songs.

And of course


those guys can really play. I would have to say that Jack Black has made a pretty big career out of a single persona. The devil in the video is played by Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters fame. Again though, it is not a great song. I love hearing it though.

Babara Streisand

Tenacious D have sold a lot of albums , although like a lot of bands that are a 'in joke' band, they have run out of ideas pretty quickly. I have their latest album and to be honest. . well it lacks the edge their first album had. We have heard the joke before. I think that becomes the same for all bands like this.

I mean, where are Steel Panther going to go from here?

Sorry, about the lyrics, pretty offensive stuff. I defy you not to smile though

Anyway, it is a very cold and grey Saturday morning in the UK so i thought you might have liked some cheering up.

Barbara Streisand

1 comment:

  1. I definitely smiled ! Here is a song I like with a video that makes me laugh :

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_PrT25o8Vs

    ReplyDelete