Monday 15 August 2011

seriously, wtf is going on there?

Like many of you I grew up with the video clip, film clip, music video, depending on where you are from. Many of those videos have been fantastic visual realisations of the artistic vision. Some have been pretty poor. Did you see that Friday clip that went so big on You Tube that they had to take it down. That was a terrible song and a wholly dull clip, but she got fame and isn't that what she wanted?? Actually I heard she has had to start being home schooled because she got teased so much. The price of 40 million plus hits!!

There is of course the very very strange clip that you have trouble working out. Some clips appear to be odd, but like this one by the Avalanches , which is about insanity, it is portraying the theme of the song.



However, there are those that make no sense what so ever. Many of these come from the land of the strange. Japan . . like this. I speak a bit of Japanese, lived there for years and have no idea at all what is going on in this clip.


So, the big person in the pink dress is doing the pon pon pon dance? Is it a woman of a guy dressed as a woman? Is the brain in the wall cupboard head banging? Why is her face painted pink for some of it? I am so very confused by the imagery. Really I am.

At least though that is happy bright and fun imagery. My friend Marylin Manson has provided us with some pretty disturbing imagery over the years. I know that is the point, but none-the-less I think you will find that this is less savory than the pon pon pon clip.


I love that song. It is so deliciously dark. The clip is warped though.It does show the power of the visual though. If you have watched it you will remember it for some time. Perhaps longer than you will remember the tune for. I have been meaning to write a post on the shock merchants like Alice Cooper and Mr Manson, but as with so many posts I am going to write I simply haven't had the time to get to it yet.

The 80s was the birth of the video clip as we know it. Sure there were people performing their songs in the 70s, but they weren't much more than that, a live performance. With the 80s came artistic impression and with MTV we got the film clip. I saw a very interesting show by the guy who directed most of the big 80s film clips, Russel Mulcahy. He said that he didn't really listen to the lyrics of the songs he directed the clips for, more what feeling they gave him. Which is probably why none of the 80s film clips you remember make much sense, and have quite a bit of gay imagery in them! Seriously, how does this relate to the actual song?


Actually, that is not so bad, but you get that great 80s vibe with the split screens and the like. The Motels, under rated or just plain terrible?

What are some of the weirdest videos you have seen?


3 comments:

  1. Back in the days when people could still be offended (and sometimes rightfully so) I remember that MTV banned The Rolling Stones "Under Cover Of The Night" and here in Canada it could only be shown late at night. But as a teenager, it was a "cool" video!

    I always liked Tim Pope's videos for the Cure. My favorites are "In Between Days" and "Why Can't I Be You?".

    Weirdest videos? Almost anything by TOOL.
    Special mention should go to THE RESIDENTS - Third Reich'n Roll. A non-musical music group covering oldies in a video that is a cross between Pee-Wee's playhouse and Eraserhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figured I should mention, I was a bit concerned about that poor japanese girl vomiting birds and eyeballs. But it seems to make her happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a very odd clip.
    This blogging thing is strange sometimes isn't it. I got 1,400 hits on this silly post yesterday. That is more than I got in December and january! I am embarressed that it wasn't a better post frankly.

    ReplyDelete