Sunday 27 February 2011

The almost one hit wonder

I am not really a fan of mainstream music. If you have read some of the other posts on this blog you possibly would have got that. The music that i like doesn't seem to be the same as other people like. there are notable exceptions of course, Radiohead, Tool, The Black Keys, etc etc. I do get the feeling though that this is because there are enough people with similar 'taste' to buy the albums or whatever and so make them seem popular.

They do not sell anything like , 50 cent, kayne West, Rihanna, Nickelback, and the like. I do not profess to understand this in any way. I have liked bands and some of their songs over the years, who to my mind should be huge, and simply weren't.


here is a song by The Bravery.


That is a good song. In fact it is  a very good song. it has a great melody. the Bravery were tipped to be the next big thing. not just by me but by the BBC music people. their debut album, The Bravery, is a very good album. their second album has this song on it.


That is a really good song. it is a beautiful piece of bitter sweet pop. Easily able to compete with the songs i discussed here

yet they have not really made it. i do not understand this. Both of those songs should have been huge. they are good songs. I don't get it. Are they not? Is my music taste so far off that it is warped by the fact that the songs speak to me? The Bravery are still around and have released a third album.I haven't really got into that so much yet. There is still hope that the mass populous will wake up and realise how good they are.


A band I put very much in the same category is Craker. For the uninitiated, i.e. pretty much everyone, they had this song back in the mid 90s.


I love that song. Again that is a good song. but what happened to Cracker? it turns out they have released 13 albums. Which is prolific by modern standards. And yet, i challenge most of the people to have even heard of them . they must be quite good. you do not get to release 13 albums and be completely rubbish. Actually that isn't quite true is it. You can publish 13 albums and be rubbish, but you must be popular enough to do it.

Listen to this piece of transcendal angst


That is a song that makes me want to sit down and take stock of things. Contemplate whether or not I have done the right things in my life. I listened to this song a lot when i first moved overseas. i was in a very isolated spot, metaphorically speaking, i was in London in reality. I think it is an isolated song. The whole imagery of meeting up with someone you used to know in an unexpected place.

For what ever reason though, Grant Lee Buffalo didn't really make it . People didn't get it so much and so I talk about it now as a lost classic of a song. The album it comes from , also called Fuzzy, charted pretty well. Honestly this is the stand out track. probably why the record company decided to call the album that name as well.

I don't care that other people do not like the music i do. Honestly, apart from having a strong dislike for U2, I don't really care one way or another. it does upset me a little though that there is a world of music out there, that doesn't get taken up , allow the musicians to develop and give me more great music, because they do not sell enough albums to start with.

The last person i want to talk about is MC 900 Foot jesus. OK, so the name really doesn't roll off the tongue does it.

But listen to this


I honestly wake up to this song most mornings. That is the most atmospheric song I know. the imagery and the story that goes along with it are simply amazing. you get the very strong feeling of a guy walking around the deserted place sin town, looking for something to feed his pyromania obsession.

He released one album after this. One Step ahead of the spider, which i highly recommend. Then nothing he stopped. the record company dropped him and that was it. i wrote to him. Seriously, to find out what happened and he said that he was now training to be a pilot and thanks for remembering him. Like him on Facebook. He should really be given the chance to produce this great music again.

It wasn't a fluke, here is a song off the next album



Sometimes it just isn't fair.

2 comments:

  1. Cracker - Eurotrash Girl.
    I was a fan, but I preferred Camper Van Beethoven.
    Key Lime Pie! Gorgeous Album!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eurotrash girl is a good song, no doubt. Lacks the abandon of Low though. Never got into Camper Van Beethoven, just didn't really get it.

    ReplyDelete