Thursday 9 June 2011

is it stalking me?

Sometimes things just seem to follow you around. Sometimes you go for ages without seeing or hearing something and then suddenly you just can't get away from it. It could be anything. I saw three green cabs in London in the same day. Which is scarily prosaic, but you know what I mean. It is like when you catch the train in the morning and the same person sitting next to you sits next to you on the way home as well.

One thing where this seems to happen quite a lot is with the latest song. Quite often this is some stupid pop song that I can not stand. Sometimes though it is a good song, a song I can bear , and more importantly it enables me to bear what ever shop I happen to be standing in. I do not get this as much now as I used to. This must be because I spend a lot less time doing the things I do not want to do anymore. Well I have certainly convinced myself of this. Self delusion is the cornerstone of any career though isn't it . . .

So , for today's post I thought I would write about some songs that have been introduced to me through various means that I think I would not mind hearing quite a lot over the next few months. They are, unusually for this old person, all new songs and so the likelihood that I do hear them is pretty high.

The first song is by Example and it is called Changed the Way You Kiss Me.


What I like about that song is the somewhat retro electronica beats that go along to it. It is almost hard house circa 1997 isn't it. That is cool. I can get into that (again). Is that the cornerstone of a good catchy song? Something that is reminiscent of a good memory song? There is something in this isn't there? Otherwise why would there be so many samples in modern music?

I also like this song, LMAFO with Party Rock Anthem


Again there is that old school electronica beat to it all. What is going on in the video? I think it is an ironic dance thing don't you? I hope it is , otherwise it is a bit sad. However, there are some amazing moves in that video. When does it become cool to be able to dance like that? I mean, if I ,for example, went down to the local disco and danced like some of those guys . . I think I would probably get beaten up .. maybe just for using the word disco. You know what I mean though, where do people actually dance like that , except on music videos. . .

I am not sure this next song is going to be played anywhere else except on the music video stations though, because in all honesty the song isn't that brilliant catchy type of tune. However the video makes me laugh every time I see it. Here we have Bruno Mars with The Lazy Song



Maybe I am wrong. Maybe it is the song that you will always hear. It is certainly radio friendly and it has that summer beat to it. Although I have to say I know it isn't summer for all of us. It is a bit of a summer song. It has 73 million hits already. That is amazing isn't it?

You know what, this is the song that is going to follow me around . . mainly because I think it has already started to . . . just want to say I picked this a long time ago . .


What's following you around at the moment?

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    I really like the first song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    example- 100% deserves to go to no.1 this sunday. end.of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not big into charts and the like, but i do think it is a great song, and if going number 1 validates that then i am all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turns out it was the number 1, first time in about 15 years I payed any attention to the charts. . .

    ReplyDelete