Saturday 14 April 2012

Guns and Roses part II Hall of Fame

Throughout this blog I have made ample reference to a band that did a large amount to change some of my perceptions about music, The Mighty Guns and Roses. I even dedicated an entire post to them here. Not a great post, but it does get across the idea of the effect they had on me.

So, as you may or may not have heard or seen, the mighty gunner's are back in the news. They are going to be inducted to the Rock and Roll hall of fame. I am not sure how I feel about this in general. I mean, does being inducted into something like this really mean anything? Some of the people in it I really have to question. U2 are in it, and you know my feelings about them, if not, have some fun with this.

I sit in a similar quandary when thinking about the Grammy's. How much do I really care? I did some research (wikipedia, that counts right?) and most of the people inducted I do not really have an issue with. However, if a band are not inducted do I care that much? No of course not. Do I especially like them if they are? No of course not. ABBA are in there and Aerosmith are not. That seems odd doesn't it?

Regardless of my ambivalence to the actual inductees and the whole process of selection, still upset that U2 are there, what has come to light is that the front man of Guns and Roses has publicly said he does not want to be inducted and does not want to be inducted in absentia either. His statement on that part reads like this:

"I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorised nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf," Rose wrote. "Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of 'Guns N' Roses"

Now, despite my 15-year-old fantasies that I would now be life long friends with the guys in the band, I am not really close enough to the situation to be able to make a comment on anything else other than what I have read in the press.

So sorry, no music for you, here is something from Appetite as a reminder


What the press have said is that there is still a lot of bad blood between the members being inducted. The members being inducted are as follows Steve Adler, Duff McKagen, Dizzy Reed, Axl Rose, Slash , Matt Sorum and Izzy Stradlin. Now, the clued up among you will note that that line up includes two drummers and two rhythm guitarists. OK, that is kinda of the way it works with Guns and Roses. As I said in my previous post on them, they had some line up changes between their 1st and the 3rd and 4th album releases.

I am alright with Matt Surom and Dizzy Reed being included. It is not the original five members and therefore the creators of Appetite for Destruction. But that is alright. They were a part of this.




I am sure they will be pleased to hear I am OK with it. Anyway, the press is reporting that because people have apparently said that the original band may reform, Axl has decided that he is not getting enough respect and that until everyone who has said this stands up and admits they made it up, there is no chance of a meeting, let alone the band reforming.

OK, this is clearly linked to the fact that the latest incarnation of the band is not receiving the same level of respect that the original, or mkII band did. You know why Axl? Cause they are not as good. There, I said it. Everyone has been thinking it, and apart from a google search that yielded around 4 million hits on why the album Chinese Democracy sucks , no one was prepared to say it.

So jokes aside, if it is obvious to everyone in the world that the band has passed its peak, and let me be very clear here , I am in no way saying the members have passede their peak, because the stuff that Slash and Duff are putting out rocks and is cool and while it may not have the original impact is still brilliant, as a band Guns and Roses are over.

That is why they are being inducted! Axl, seriously , stop being a douche and get over this. If the band were to reunite, for one or maybe two world tours, I would go. I would go to the States to Idaho, sorry people in Idaho but I am sure you know why I said this, if that was where I could get a ticket to see them. It would be hard to even get a ticket there. Because everyone would want to go. That is because the band, the original or mkII band are still one of the coolest bands there is.

So, despite my ramblings what I wanted to say is , yay to Guns and Roses being inducted, but boo to Axl for not being there. Seriously, just do three songs with the original members. I would vote for , Sweet Child of Mine, Rocket Queen and Civil War. (cast your votes in the comments section please). Just because no one would expect it.

Please?





2 comments:

  1. The worst/most embarrassing induction to the hall of fame was Creedence Clearwater Revival.
    Talk about unreal behaviour: The band accept their reward and then John Fogerty plays a set of Creedence songs with a back up band.
    In all the reading I've done on them, I'm clearly on the band's side in this feud.

    Anyway, what does it actually mean to get these awards and honours? I'm sure a lot of bands in the hall of fame (I have no clue who actually is)are there because of fame rather than ground breaking pioneers. I never pay attention to that stuff or the grammys or any of that because none of it makes sense.

    Remember 1987 when Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for best Metal album?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The creedance one is one I have seen and was painful. Another painful onw was the blondie one. The members not in the current band actually asked Debbie Harry if they could play and she said 'no, i have a band that plays for me' . . . awkward.

    I think awards mean nothing. . . but then until this blog wins one for . . . for . . something . . then i will perhaps always feel that way.

    ReplyDelete